Fashion Illustrator Extraordinaire: Claire Idera

I had a chat with illustrator-extraordinaire, soon-to-be architect, mind model, FayrouzNigeria's #BeInspired talent entry -  she chose to twirl not twer..find out more! Hi CLAIRE


How did you start? Your illustrations?
My illustrations basically started as a kid, I used to draw a lot of girls but then I stopped and then picked it up again after Highschool. I turned it into my dream job in 2013.




Self-Taught? Or did you go to school for it?
I am completely self taught. I imagine how cool it would be to study it, but I believe I'm fine as a self-taught artist.








Why study architecture, for a very talented artist like yourself. Why not sculpture or fine art or writing?
Err, getting into college was a bit tough for me because I wanted to do so many things at once, I wanted to be an artist, a model, an engineer, an architect, an archeologist…I was pretty confused. After a while I think I just fell in love with architecture and the prestige that comes with it.

I found your blog. You have great diction, which is why I suggested Writing as a degree. And some of your popular posts like “Flight For Love” have vivid imagery, what inspired it?
There is a story behind every every piece.
Haha! It was a phase in my life that I really won't forget. I started reading some melancholic and heartbreaking books which really messed up with my thoughts and emotions. You know the saying "We become what we think about"…well, I became pretty poetic and deep, like many said. It's all gone now, like I said it was a phase.


You’re a freelance illustrator? A merchandiser for Rukky Simone. What else do you do?
I am currently a graduate, a graphic designer and I'm working as an assistant fashion designer with Rukky Ladoja for Eve and Tribe.





Oh cool! You mentioned doing a project with Eve and Tribe. Can you tell us a little bit about that? And what other Fashion Houses you've worked with?
For now, it's still confidential and so also other fashion houses. This is because they are still in their production stage and would prefer to keep it confidential till all products are ready. I really cant wait too.


I recently recommended you to my friend Seyi, the founder of Sanusi Lagos, are the wheels to a new project in motion?
Well, we are still on a low but very soon I guess. (laughs)



If you weren’t doing “Claire Idera” now, what other career path would you choose?
Honestly, Nothing! But if it’s a do or die case, I'll be a motivational speaker.

Before it skips my mind again, have you ever animated yourself? Were you being extra, like including super-power symbols or a theme behind it?
Oh My! ofcourse I have. I did that while I was in A-levels. I painted myself as a sexy alien, with large eyes and hips that I always dreamed of. I painted it with pastel and I still laugh when I think about what inspired me.

Past notable projects?
The Gidimint Photo Series which was in July and some illustrations I did of some bloggers, Eku Edewor, Lupita Nyong'o and some other remarkable fashionistas.
I also have some personal projects that I hope to exhibit some day.




Describe yourself in one word?
Spontaneous


Fab Twirl or Freak Twerk?
Haha! Fab Twirl for me.

www.claireidera@gmail.com
instagram/twitter/facebook: claireidera

Comments

Popular Posts