STYLE SPOT: Ifeanyi Nwune



IFEANYI NWUNE

Tell us about yourself, who is Ifeanyi Nwune? 
He started with his name, as most interviewees. 
He mentioned his family of six – and the youngest of four siblings. 

Stylist, Designer & Creative Director ... He’s been working in Fashion for a little over two years so I started with that..


I read about you once, and I follow you on Instagram. So I know a small part of your story. Tell us how you started..



Well I started off after I spent a summer with my cousin, who is into fashion – this rubbed off on me. 
His name is Ugo Mozie, for those that don’t know, Ugo is famous celebrity stylist – young and driven, his efforts have landed him gigs with some of you favorites celebrities including Chris Brown, Justin Beiber, Letoya Luckett, Chloe Green & so many more

You started as a stylist. What are some of your notable projects?

My first gig was at Arise Magazine Fashion Week, as an assistant stylist. There were five of us with two head stylists, and we worked pretty much with everyone. They needed as many hands as possible – but it was the best experience for me.

I’ve worked at Lagos Fashion & Design Week shows; Elite Model Look & Music meets Runway fashion show. My work has been featured on Nigerian fashion magazines like Complete Fashion, WOW, Red Sheet, and Blanck Digital.


Do you plan on visiting other Fashion Week Shows?

Yeah of course - Paris, Milan, New York City (it might be in that order). London not so much, I heard bad reviews – and some of the London designers that showed in Nigeria weren't all that.



I think London is different – from all the other cities. It diversifies your mind and pushes your creativity.

I agree – I think one should go to all the cities


In your opinion and only a few words, what is style? What is fashion?

Fashion or Style is coordinated expression of one’s imagination. Without coordination, it looks messy.


Why did you choose to present yourself as a designer now? I mean, being a creative designer is no easy task. Was it a branding strategy? What were your thoughts going into this?

Working as a stylist – it is hard to pull clothes from designers. And sometimes what you want is not exactly what you get. So I decided to start making my own clothes – I have better choices with my creativity. With more demand from people, I continued. 

My mind is not into selling – I’d rather stick to the creative side of things

Did you have a vision for the collection?

My style really - I made the clothes for myself and things fell into place. This became the collection


Inspiration behind your debut collection - By the way, I love the white one, and the collar detail. Talk to me about the Control, the fashion film.

My inspiration was the song Control featuring Kendrick Lamar – it was controversial and different.
But frankly with my collection, it was basic. I played safe and I wanted the buzz to last longer – which is why the fashion film was a good idea


Most urban brands have embraced the tunic-style tops, would you say you followed the trend too? 

I didn't join the tunic trend. Lol - The dress shirt was inspired by an outfit I saw in a 90's movie.



I once read an article on Vogue or Dazed, it pointed out the cliché factors when making a fashion film. Monochrome & Mute. Any thoughts?
I don’t think the theme is cliché, I think that audible sound distracts the art. And sounds carry emotion – which might not be the actual interpretation of what the fashion film, is.


But cliché factors are monochrome and mute…according to Dazed

Wait, it actually is. (He laughs) – but again, we worked with a tight budget and managed to create this film


It was a good one though

Yeah it is


Do you have mentors you talk to or look up to?

Mentors definitely, Ugo Mozie


Inspiration

Riccardo Tisci of Givenchy and Rick Owens, mentioning Dark shadows Collection


Upcoming future projects you want to mention? Another collection maybe?

Yes, I’m working on a new collection. Alongside the fashion film – which will be better than the last. The collection is called Loud Serenity and it’s an exclusive

Quote or Song?

"Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you'll call it fate"- Carl Jung


Obviously I’m excited for an exclusive so I have to squeal… but it was a pleasure talking to him! I think he’s a young creative individual who will lead the future talents of Nigeria – with proper guidance and numbered mistakes, he stands the chance to be one of the best coming up. I know I have a good eye, so we’ll see :) 



Fashion Film: http://www.vimeo.com/ifeanyinwune/control


Source: Instagram, Jaguda.com

Comments

Popular Posts